Thursday, August 3, 2006

Fear and loathing in Jakarta

Working in Asia is different from working in the US. Ok, that's a huge understatement. But I didn't really feel it until I experienced living there. Here are a couple of quirks about life as an intern in Jakarta.

1. Irony. In this case, of living in one of the most advanced banking economies in the developing world and not having a bank account. The IFC pays me in cash. Specifically, IDR 18,426,000 of it every month. It comes in a Manila envelope, which I put in a plastic bag to bring home, much like how I carry broccoli back from Whole Foods. I keep my money under my mattress (literally) and use MS Money to manage my "account". It's not too bad; I bought everything from plane tickets to Nasi Goreng with it, and always make sure to carry an "inch" with me wherever I go. And the best part, it's tax free!

2. Karaoke. In America, we schmooze clients on the golf course. Out here, it's karaoke. And we're not talking about a bunch of drunkards spilling 40's of beer (or worse) over a mike in a noisy bar. The karaoke club my boss and a couple of colleagues went to was one of the classiest joints I've seen, with ferrari's lining the red-carpeted entrance and a dedicated karaoke room for us with two large screens, surround sound, 4 mikes, a full course menu with wine, and (get this) our very own live backup singers. Someone please tell me how one goes about talking business in a place like this.

3. Nasi Goreng. It's everywhere. Really. You can get it for 50 cents on the sidewalk, or you can pay over $8.00 for exactly the same thing at a nice hotel. Its noodle counterpart, Mie Goreng, has become my staple, as all you need is noodles, egg, and "ketchup manis", a sweet soy sauce. Isn't it great when even the simplest things taste so good?

No comments: